Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Colby Dancing

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Question For All You Moms Out There! Please Help!

Well I did it. I knew when I typed the blog "It's A Miracle" that I was probably speaking to soon and sure enough I was. Last night was a rough one. Colby went to sleep at 9:30 as usual but then he tossed and turned all night and woke up at 2:30 a.m. and was screaming crying until 6:00 am when he finally fell back asleep. Needless to say Scott and I were both worn out by 6am and very GROUCHY. Well this morning Colby still was not acting himself so I took him to the doctor and you won't believe it, he has 2 ear infections again. The poor kid is on his third set of ear infections and is only 12 weeks old. We did not get to see our doctor today but the doc that we did see thinks that we need to go ahead and start talking about tubes. He said that he would discuss things with my doc tomorrow and they would give me a call. Well as I was walking to my car I ran into my doc and he was shocked to hear that he has 2 more ear infections but said that he thought Colby was a little young for tubes, which I think I might agree. I have seen tubes do wonders and am not against them but I feel like he is a little to young for them.
So my question for all you moms out there with children that have had tubes is, how old were your kids when they had tubes and do you know how old kids usually have to be before they do tubes?

7 comments:

The Tennant's said...

Hey you guys! Margaret - I grew up living next door to Scott in PG. Both of our kids had tubes and had many ear infections as babies. However, our doctor said 9 months was the youngest they would do it. I think that is due to the anesthesia. Jack was 10 months for his first set and Emma was 11 months for her first set. Each of them had had 7-10 infections by the time they put in tubes. I know how tough it is and I always felt like we were on antibiotics. But now - Jack has had 2 sets and has finally outgrown the infections (at 3 yrs old) and Emma has had 3 sets and seems to have outgrown it (at 5 yrs old). Good luck! Jennifer (Mathews) Tennant

Christy said...

hey Marg and Scott... Love the music! It's been a while. It was fun to catch up on everything. Love the potato harvesting. That's awesome! Tubes. Eeek... I'd wait for anesthesia unless my doc said I had to on a baby Colby's age. But, then again I'm not you and Scott and I am no doc. I hope he gets better and those yucky infections stop buggin' him so much. They hurt! Give him a kiss from us. We love you guys and miss you. Christy

Eric and Sarah said...

I don't know much about tubes, except that I've never heard anyone say they were sorry they had done them. Usually, I heard people saying they wish they had done them sooner. Talk with Renie... she's got lots of experience in this with Philip. Sorry I can't be of more help. Somehow we've avoided ear infections. We get croup instead!

Unknown said...

Hay Margaret, it's Lauren Bolles! Carter had tubes at two, tubes and adenoids at three and tubes and tonsils at four! Needless to say we've had our share of experience. They were a help, but not really until the tonsils came out. He never had fevers with the ear infections, so the only way I ever knew he had one was because he wouldn't eat! Katelyn got tubes at 22 months because she is allergic to Rocephin, which is the strongest drug they give for the infections (also allergic to Cefzil and Omnicef!)and our pediatrician said the was really no other choice for her. Carter actually had a slight hearing loss in one ear from all his infections (he had about 8 before we did the tubes the first time!) I hope he gets better soon! I know it can be horribly frustrating, so call me if you need to vent! Take care!

Shelly Powers said...

Margaret,
Hey i stumbled upon your blog from Amy Metz via Suzanne Owen... any way both of my kids had tubes as babies Jackson at 7 months and Brylee at 9 months. It was life changing for both of them (and us too) as a matter of fact i begged my ped to put them in Brylee's ears at the hospital when she was born LOL. We used pediatric ent ass. at childrens south by b'wood great practice highly recommed tubes... BEG for tubes at whatever age your ped thinks putting him under is safe. Both of them only has one set and they fell out at about 3 yr old. I am a big fan of tubes.
Good to "find your blog" we have a website www.powers.aboutmybaby.com
thanks shelly stonicher powers

Shelly Powers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Evonne and Me + 3 said...

Margaret,

I'm currently the mother of triplets that are 14 weeks old. As for tubes in the ear, I would strongly suggest seeking an ENT when you think it time for tubes. Most docs won't consider it until they are 1yr. Children must show a problematic history before having this done. I had tubes in my ears at the age of two but still encountered ear infections into my adult years but just not as frequent prior to the tubes. Hang in there. Tell Scott I said hello!