Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Colby Dancing

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Rough Day for Colby


Well, here it is, almost 1am and Marg and I cannot sleep. It has been a rough day. Right after the Auburn game, we noticed that Colby was having trouble breathing. Our neighbor Deann was visiting and she agreed that something was not right. We made a trip to Children's Hospital. (See picture) By the time we got there, he was breathing normal again. Luckily for us, we made a video of his breathing issues.

Several nurses looked at him along with a doctor. They all thought it was GER (reflux) related. The doctor was concerned so she went and summoned the attending doctor. The second doctor came in and watched the video. She said it was tracheomalacia. It is basically where the airway is "floppy". In being so, his breathing is labored and he makes a loud sound as if he were choking. Marg and I have been on the computer all night researching this. We also found a similar issue called laryngomalacia.

Well, we got home and he got his 7-9 PM belly ache. We ended up going for a "trip" around Calera and Alabaster. He was finally relaxed. However..............about 30 minutes after we returned home, he started the breathing issue again. They have been going on for about two hours and we are scared to death. For me personally, it is one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do. Marg is having trouble with it also. It is hard to sit there and watch our son breath that heavy. I laid him on his back to listen to his breathing and he spit up out of his nose and mouth. Granted, this was an hour and a half after his feeding. He quit breathing for about 15 seconds. From what the web sites say, an infant will pretty much have an apnea (period of not breathing) in response to a spit up like that so that it will keep the fluid from flowing back into the lungs.
Please keep our little man in your prayers.

4 comments:

Christy said...

Hey guys,

We love you all. I've been praying for all 3 of you all night. I knew you wouldn't be able to sleep last night. I hope that this heals very soon. I am sure it is the hardest thing to go thru and watch for your baby boy.

We love you.
Christy, Jim, Abby and Emma

Kim said...

I'm so sorry you guys had to go through this. Our son, Cole, has the SAME breathing "issues" because of his reflux. You're right...it's soooo hard to sit there and listen to your son wheeze, "choke", etc. Dal and I lay Cole on his left side (on a inclined positioner) and it seems to help control his spit up, therefore his breathing is better too. Cole also spits up out of his nose quite often. I just hate it for these babies that have these problems. I hope little Colby's breathing gets better soon.

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm so sorry this is happening to you all. I can't possibly imagine how you all feel and I pray everything will be better. Almost all of my friends know about Colby because I have pictures of him all in my locker and I will get them all to pray for him and you all. I hope Colby get's better and you guys get some sleep. I love you, Abby

Landrum Family said...

We will keep you guys in our prayers. It is so hard to watch the little guys struggle. We have also lived through the reflux thing. It was awful! Hal still throws up at the drop of a hat. Good luck and we will be thinking about you.
Natalie